10.19.2010

Notes From the Plane

(Here are some notes I took down while on the plane to Korea three weeks ago.)

It was a long day. Scratch that, it is a long day. I woke up with dew still hovering over a San Clemente camp site at 5:45 a.m. I stayed the night with my mom at a family reunion but woke up early to run the last of my "leaving for a year" errands before needing to get to the airport by 9 a.m. Mom and I raced up and down the 405 until getting to the airport promptly at 9 a.m. I said goodbye to my mom and even though her eyes were less watery than expected, they were as loving as ever.-- Her beauty travels so much farther than she will ever know.-- I boarded at 12:00 p.m. L.A. time, flew 12 hours and am now on my decent in Seoul. I have watched five movies, slept 4 solid hours, ate two incredible meals and now Thelonious Monk swimmingly carries me through my current peace...

(--I go on for a page about how Thelonious Monk's skittish but smooth piano stroking ability translates to my excitement based anxiety. Good stuff, not important to this post though--)

...this flight has helped. All 96 of the people in coach have been so kind. My seat partner helped me open the foreign packages. It's premature but every time one of the Korean people talk to me I say, "I have my new home."

We shall see how it plays out.

In 25-minutes I will be walking into a whole new adventure. I start teaching about 16 hours after I land. Ha, what a typical move. I leave no room for fidgeting. I move, and move fast. This new life will work well for me because I can "hustle" again. Work four jobs, run around a city, make weird money and enjoy the process as it speeds by.

I have relaxed for a year. Now I'll move quicker than I have ever moved before.

15 minutes to touchdown....Here we go.


(...And the ride has begun....)

2 comments: